‘You’re Playing With Fire!’: UN Nuclear Chief Criticises ‘Targeted’ Strikes On Ukraine Nuclear Plant

‘You’re Playing With Fire!’: UN Nuclear Chief Criticises ‘Targeted’ Strikes On Ukraine Nuclear Plant

New Delhi: The United Nations atomic watchdog chief Rafael Grossi on Sunday denounced “targeted” strikes at Ukraine’s Russian-controlled Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, calling for a “stop to this madness”, as Kyiv and Moscow traded blame. Ukraine meanwhile dismissed Russian accusations that it had executed surrendering soldiers.

“The news from our team yesterday and this morning are extremely disturbing,” said a statement Sunday from Rafael Grossi, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency. “Explosions occurred at the site of this major nuclear power plant, which is completely unacceptable. “Whoever is behind this, it must stop immediately,” he added. “As I have said many times before, you’re playing with fire!”

[email protected]: “Whoever is behind this, it must stop immediately.” He added, “you’re playing w/ fire!” The DG renewed his urgent appeal to 🇺🇦&🇷🇺 to agree & implement a nuclear safety & security zone around #ZNPP ASAP. “I’m not giving up until this zone has become a reality.”

— IAEA – International Atomic Energy Agency ⚛️ (@iaeaorg) November 20, 2022

According to the statement, released by IAEA, more than a dozen blasts happened overnight from Saturday to Sunday, some of which a team of experts from the agency on site had themselves seen. Speaking to French broadcaster BFMTV later Sunday, Grossi was clear that the strikes on the plant were no accident.

“The people who are doing this know where they are hitting. It is absolutely deliberate, targeted,” Grossi told BFMTV, as reported by news agency AFP. The IAEA is to send a team of experts to the plant — the biggest nuclear facility in Europe — currently controlled by Russian troops.

Also Read  US Sanctions 1,000 Russians And Firms, Rejects Putin's 'Fraudulent' Annexation Of Ukrainian Regions

Ukraine Denies Accusations Of Killing Russian Soldiers   

Ukraine dismissed Russian accusations that its soldiers had killed Russian troops as they were surrendering, which Moscow termed it a “war crime”.

Extracts from purported video footage in question showed that in fact, Russian forces had used a “staged surrender” to open fire on Ukrainian soldiers, Dmytro Lubinets, the parliament’s commissioner for human rights said Sunday, as reported by AFP. “In this case, persons among the Russian servicemen cannot be considered prisoners of war, but are those who are fighting and committing treachery,” AFP quoted Lubinets as saying.

“Returning fire is not a war crime. On the contrary, those who want to use the protection of international law to kill must be punished.”

As per the report, video footage circulated on Russian social media last week showed the bodies of Russian servicemen killed after surrendering to Ukrainian troops. A UN spokesperson told AFP on Friday it was “aware of the videos” and “looking into them”.

Russian Shelling

Meanwhile, in the southern city of Kherson, which Ukrainian troops recently recaptured, residents were facing a fresh challenge after eight months of occupation by Moscow’s troops — Russian artillery attacks. After Russian shells pounded the industrial area next to their home, setting fire to an oil depot there, Yuri Mosolov and his wife decided it was time to leave. “After yesterday’s shelling, my wife said: let’s not take too many risks and go,” Mosolov told AFP.

A carefully planned campaign by Kyiv targeting logistics networks, bridges, and pontoon crossings battered Russian supply lines and forced their troops to abandon the city and retreat to the Dnipro’s eastern bank. Now the armies are increasingly engaging in heavy artillery exchanges across the river. “Artillery duels are still going on. The combat continues,” said AFP quoted Dmytro Pletenchuk, the Ukrainian military’s spokesman in the area as saying. “Kherson is now on the frontline.” 

Also Read  UN Chief Calls On Governments, International Communities To Protect Journalists

Elsewhere near Kherson, Russian strikes hit a humanitarian distribution area in the village of Bilozerka, sending residents fleeing on Saturday.

Nearly 400 Russian Attacks In East Of Ukraine On Sunday: President Zelenskyy

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, in his daily address, said there had been nearly 400 Russian attacks in the east of the country alone on Sunday. The toughest battles, he said, were in the eastern Donetsk region — one of those Russian now claims as its own. Fighting was also continuing in neighbouring Lugansk.

Teams were working around the clock to repair damage to the energy infrastructure wrought by Russia’s artillery bombardments — but “stabilisation blackouts” were nevertheless necessary for 15 regions, including Kyiv, he added.

The President once again set out Kyiv’s terms for peace, which include food and energy security, the release of all prisoners and deportees, and the withdrawal of Russian troops from all Ukrainian territory.

(With AFP Inputs)