Maharashtra CM Directs Probe Over 'Beautification' Of Yakub Memon’s Grave, Says Strict Action Will Be Taken

Maharashtra CM Directs Probe Over 'Beautification' Of Yakub Memon’s Grave, Says Strict Action Will Be Taken

Eknath Shinde, the chief minister of Maharashtra, promised harsh action on Thursday about the “beautification” of Yakub Memon’s burial in Mumbai’s Bada Qabrastan, where he was executed for the 1993 Mumbai bombings, news agency ANI reported.

Following giving the directive for an inquiry into the situation, the chief minister stated that an investigation had been started.

“An inquiry has been ordered. The investigation has also been started. Strict actions will be taken against the persons responsible,” Shinde was quoted by ANI in its report. 

Meanwhile, the Mumbai Police has reportedly been ordered to conduct a thorough investigation and submit a report, according to sources in the DCM office.

Ram Kadam, a member of the Maharashtra Bharatiya Janata Party, questioned if it was patriotic of former state chief minister Uddhav Thackeray to turn Yakub Memon’s burial in Bada Qabrastan’s lighting arrangements into a Mazar.

While seeking Thackeray’s apology over the issue, BJP MLA Ram Kadam stated: “The grave of terrorist Yakub Memon who executed the 1993 Bombay bombings at Pakistan’s behest, was converted into a Mazar when Uddhav Thackeray was the CM. Is this his love for Mumbai, patriotism?”

He also asked Rahul Gandhi, Sharad Pawar, and former chief minister Uddhav Thackeray of the Congress for an apology.

Memon was the lone prisoner in the 1993 Mumbai serial explosions case, who was put to the gallows.

On March 12, 1993, a series of bomb attacks struck Mumbai (then Bombay), killing 257 people, injuring over 700 others, and destroying property worth over Rs 27 crore. On the request of the state administration, the matter was turned over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

Also Read  134 Ex-Bureaucrats Write To CJI Lalit Against Release Of Bilkis Bano Gang-Rape Convicts

On June 16, 2017, Mustafa Dossa and Abu Salem were two of the defendants found guilty in the case. According to reports, wanted terrorist Dawood Ibrahim organised the strikes.

(With Inputs From ANI)