Days after a class 12 female student died after being set on fire by a man, the 2-member fact-finding committee of National Commission for Women (NCW) met the family of the victim in Jharkhand’s Dumka town. The NCW has also asked people not to circulate photo of the victim on social media and to protect the dignity of a woman.
According to reports, the accused allegedly poured petrol on teenage girl, studying in Class 12, outside the window of her room when she was sleeping and set her on fire in Dumka town on August 23. The girl succumbed to her injuries on Sunday.
Responding to the incident, Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren has assured that the matter will be taken up by a fast-track court for speedy disposal.
Dumak Girl Set Ablaze | Key Points
1. NCW on Tuesday sent a 2-member fact-finding committee to Dumka and their observations will be submitted in a report to NCW Chairperson who will convey further step in the matter. “As soon as we got the news we took suo moto action and took up the matter with DGP. Our observations will be submitted in a report to NCW Chairperson who will convey further step in the matter. We cannot reveal anything now,” Shalini Singh, Legal Counsellor, NCW told news agency ANI.
2. A delegation of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) comprising Nishikant Dubey, Manoj Tiwari and Kapil Mishra met the family of the victim earlier in the day. The saffron party will take care of the family, BJP MP from Godda constituency Dubey said.
3. The chairperson of apex child rights body National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) Priyank Kanoongo will travel to Dumka in Jharkhand on September 4 to meet the family. According to reports, Kanungo is scheduled to meet with the district collector, superintendent of police (SIT), investigating officer, medical authorities and district child protection officer.
4. Meanwhile, the Child Welfare Committee (CWC) has said that the class 12 student who died days after being set on fire by a man was a minor, and demanded action against him under the POCSO Act. The committee said she was around 16 years old as per the class 10 board examination marksheet and not an adult as claimed by the police, news agency PTI reported.
5. The victim, dentified as Shahrukh, has been arrest along with the person who supplied him petrol. The victim was first admitted to the Phulo Jhano Medical College and Hospital in Dumka in a critical condition with 90 per cent burn injuries and later referred to another hospital. She died on Sunday.
(With inputs from agencies.)