News World News

Schwarzenegger’s brutal Trump attack

Schwarzenegger’s brutal Trump attack thumbnail

LIVE Last updated January 11, 2021 11:20AM AEDT Arnold Schwarzenegger has released a lengthy video statement branding Donald Trump the “worst president ever” and denouncing some of his fellow members of the Republican party for their “spinelessness”. The actor and former governor of California compared the pro-Trump mob storming the US Capitol to the Kristallnacht,…

LIVE

Last updated January 11, 2021 11:20AM AEDT

Arnold Schwarzenegger has released a lengthy video statement branding Donald Trump the “worst president ever” and denouncing some of his fellow members of the Republican party for their “spinelessness”.

The actor and former governor of California compared the pro-Trump mob storming the US Capitol to the Kristallnacht, or the Night of Broken Glass, which was a 1938 attack against Jewish people carried out by Nazi forces and civilians.

He drew similarities between the 1938 event and the Capitol attack, claiming both were incited by “lies and intolerance”.

“President Trump sought to overturn the results of an election, and of a fair election. He sought a coup by misleading people with lies,” Mr Schwarzenegger said.

“President Trump is a failed leader. He will go down in history as the worst president ever. The good thing is he will soon be as irrelevant as an old tweet.”

Two people have now been arrested and charged in relation to the riot at the Capitol on Wednesday that killed five people, including a police officer.

Larry Rendell Brock and Eric Gavelek Munchel have both been charged with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority and one count of violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.

Read on for the latest news.

Live Updates


Ally Foster

A veteran US Capitol Police officer has died by suicide, authorities and sources said on Sunday, days after he responded to the riot that killed five people including another member of his department.

Officer Howard Liebengood, 51, died on Saturday while off-duty, the department announced in a statement.

“He was assigned to the Senate Division, and has been with the Department since April 2005,” the statement read. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and colleagues.

“We ask that his family, and other USCP officers’ and their families’ privacy be respected during this profoundly difficult time.”

The department did not disclose the circumstances of Officer Liebengood’s death, but sources characterised it as an apparent suicide.

The head of the department’s labour union said that Officer Liebengood was among police who responded to last week’s riot.

“We are reeling from the death of Officer Liebengood,” said Gus Papathanasiou in a statement to several media outlets. “Every Capitol Police Officer puts the security of others before their own safety and Officer Liebengood was an example of the selfless service that is the hallmark of USCP.

“This is a tragic day.”

– Aaron Feis, The New York Post

READ MORE


Ally Foster

Two men have been charged in connection with the deadly riots that took place at the US Capitol on Wednesday.

Texas man Larry Rendell Brock and Tennessee man Eric Gavelek Munchel were both charged with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority and one count of violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.

They were both arrested on Sunday.

“It is alleged that Brock was identified as one of the individuals who unlawfully entered the US Capitol wearing a green helmet, green tactical vest with patches, black and camo jacket, and beige pants holding a white flex cuff, which is used by law enforcement to restrain and/or detain subjects,” a statement from the US Attorney’s Office said.

“It is alleged that Munchel was inside of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Photos depicting his presence show a person who appears to be Munchel carrying plastic restraints, an item in a holster on his right hip, and a cell phone mounted on his chest with the camera facing outward, ostensibly to record events that day.”

Larry Rendell Brock and Eric Gavelek Munchel carrying a white flex cuff and plastic restraints arrested

Their cases are being prosecuted by the Counterterrorism Section of the DOJ’s National Security Division. pic.twitter.com/p1aVNlUWgP

— @Ryan Trollip (@ryan_trollip) January 10, 2021

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js


Ally Foster

Arnold Schwarzenegger has released a lengthy video statement branding Donald Trump the “worst president ever” and denouncing some of his fellow members of the Republican party for their “spinelessness”.

The actor and former governor of California compared the pro-Trump mob storming the US Capitol to the Kristallnacht, or the Night of Broken Glass, which was a 1938 attack against Jewish people carried out by Nazi forces and civilians.

“I grew up in Austria. I am very aware of Kristallnacht or the Night of Broken Glass. It was a night rampage against the Jews carried out in 1938 by the Nazi equivalent of the Proud Boys,” Mr Schwarzenegger said.

“Wednesday was the Day of Broken Glass right here in the United States. The broken glass was in the windows of the United States Capitol.

“But the mob did not just shatter the windows of the Capitol, they shattered the ideas we took for granted. They did not just break down the doors of the building that housed American democracy, they trampled the very principles on which our country was founded.”

My message to my fellow Americans and friends around the world following this week’s attack on the Capitol. pic.twitter.com/blOy35LWJ5

— Arnold (@Schwarzenegger) January 10, 2021

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

The former governor drew similarities between the 1938 event and the Capitol attack, claiming both were incited by “lies and intolerance”.

“President Trump sought to overturn the results of an election, and of a fair election. He sought a coup by misleading people with lies,” he said.

“President Trump is a failed leader. He will go down in history as the worst president ever. The good thing is he will soon be as irrelevant as an old tweet. But what are we to make of those elected officials who have enabled his lies and his treachery?”

Mr Schwarzenegger blasted members of his own party for their “spinelessness” and being complicit with Mr Trump’s actions.

“They are complicit with those who carried the flag of self-righteous insurrection into the Capitol,” he said.
“America will come back from these dark days and shine our light once again. We need reforms so this never happens again. We need to hold accountable the people that brought us to this unforgiveable point.”


Ally Foster

High security fencing has been erected around the US Supreme Court following the attack on the Capitol last week.

The Supreme Court building sits just a few hundreds metres away from the Capitol, which was stormed by pro-Trump protesters on Wednesday.

The mob breached the building, forcing officials inside to hide and be evacuated.

Five people, including a police officer, were killed in the riot.

It now seems the government has taken action to protect other significant buildings, such as the Supreme Court, following last week’s attack.

Picture: Al Drago/Getty Images/AFP


Ally Foster

Mike Pence will attend the upcoming inauguration of Joe Biden, multiple media reports said Saturday, the vice president becoming the latest longtime loyalist to abandon an increasingly isolated President Donald Trump.

Relations between Trump and Pence – previously one of the mercurial president’s staunchest defenders – have nosedived since Wednesday, when the vice president formally announced Biden’s victory in November’s election.

A mob of far-right demonstrators stormed the US Capitol the same day in a failed bid to stop Congress from certifying Biden’s win, in a riot blamed on Trump that left five dead.

Multiple media reports on Saturday cited senior administration officials as saying that Pence – who was forced to take shelter from the intruders during the riot – had decided to attend Biden’s inauguration on January 20.

The president-elect earlier in the week said Pence would be welcome at his formal swearing-in, due to take place in a scaled-down format due to the coronavirus.

“I think it’s important that as much as we can stick to what have been the historical precedents of how an administration changes should be maintained,” Biden told reporters.

“We’d be honored to have him there, and to move forward in the transition.”

In his final tweet before being removed from Twitter on Friday, Trump said he would not attend the inauguration.

-AFP


Ally Foster

Another Republican has joined the growing calls for Donald Trump to resign as president, accusing the 74-year-old of spiralling “into madness”.

Pennsylvania Senator Pat Toomey is pushing for Mr Trump to stand down and said he should be held criminally responsible for his role in the attack on the Capitol building, which killed five people.

“I think the best way for our country is for the president to resign and go away as soon as possible. I acknowledge that may not be likely, but I think that would be best,” he told NBC News.

“It does not look as though there is the will or the consensus to exercise the 25th amendment option and I don’t think there is time to do an impeachment, there is 10 days left before the president leaves anyway. I think the best thing would be a resignation.”

Picture: Nicholas Kamm/AFP

Mr Toomey said after Mr Trump lost the election he escalated the situation “to an entirely different place”.

“Recruiting thousands of Americans from around the country to descend on the Capitol, promising a ‘wild ride’ and inciting them to attack the Capitol building so as to prevent the constitutional responsibility of the vice president and the Congress to complete the peaceful transfer of power,” he said.

Mr Toomey claimed the presidents actions couldn’t have been expected.
“The president spiraled down into a kind of madness that was different. I’m sorry if people don’t acknowledge that, I think what he did this past week is wildly different from the offensive tweets that were common during his presidency,” he said.


Ally Foster

Trump supporters and counter protesters have clashed in wild scenes at Pacific Beach in San Diego on Saturday.

A pro-Trump “Patriot March” that was scheduled for 2pm quickly descended into chaos after counter protesters also arrived at the pier where about 100 Trump supporters had gathered.

The counter protesters were dressed in black, many saying they were Black Lives Matter supporters and others describing themselves as anti-fascists and wearing Antifa clothing.

Tempers started to flare at about 1pm when the two groups clashed, with screaming matches breaking out between the protesters.

As the situation continued to escalate police officers were struck with glass bottles, eggs and rocks according to the San Diego Police Department.

Footage from the scene shows a group of Antifa protesters confronting a smaller group of Pro-Trump marchers.

#breaking trump supporters clash with BLM and antifa on the boardwalk in PB. Heavy police presence some fights and scuffles. Pepper spray etc (not from pd). @fox5sandiego pic.twitter.com/SrMjWnISlZ

— Paul makarushka (@heyguyfox5) January 9, 2021

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

One man can be heard yelling “f**k Trump” as the two groups square off against each other.

One of the Antifa members then pulls out a can and sprays an unknown orange substance into the faces of the Trump supporters.

As the Trump group run away covering their faces, the counter protesters pursue them, throwing objects and yelling “go home b***hes”.

Pictures: Patrick T. Fallon/AFP

Police declared the protest unlawful at about 2.30pm due to the continued violence.

“Those who remain or return against this lawful order may be cited/arrested and risk exposure to chemical agents & less-lethal force applications,” police said in a tweet.


jessica.wang

CNN’s Chief White House Correspondent Jim Acosta says Vice President Mike Pence could still invoke the 25th Amendment during the final days of Donald Trump’s presidency.

Referencing a source close to Mr Pence, Mr Acosta said the Vice President will “preserve it as an option in case Trump becomes more unstable”.

There are, however, concerns over how Trump may react to being ousted through the 25th Amendment or an impeachment.

Picture: Zak Bennett/AFP

According the source there are fears “Trump could take some sort of rash action putting the nation at risk”.

Also referred to as the ‘Disability Clause’, the 25th Amendment is used to transfer powers from the president to the vice president in the event he/she is unable to perform their role. If enacted, this would see Mr Trump’s presidential powers be given to Mr Pence until Joe Biden is sworn in on January 20.

Despite this, it’s never been used to remove a sitting president. In most recent times it was used by George W. Bush in 2002 and 2007 while he was undergoing scheduled colonoscopy procedures.


mastroiannib

Furious Trump supporters are gunning for Mike Pence, who they believe betrayed the president, with the sick term “Hang Mike Pence” trending on Twitter.

The term hit around 14,000 tweets according to reports, before users started to bring attention to it and how it should be removed.

WTF why is this allowed to trend?

I get that people have been tweeting it to quote some of the insurrectionists but it shouldn’t be allowed to trend. pic.twitter.com/HTlSYnoB5y

— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) January 9, 2021

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Twitter noticed the trend eventually, with it later removed from the the Twitter Trending USA site, which tracks the past 12 hours of the top 10 trending.

“We blocked the phrase and other variations of it from trending,” a Twitter spokesperson told Fox News on Saturday. “We want trends to promote healthy discussions on Twitter.

“This means that at times, we may prevent certain content from trending. As per our Help Center, there are Rules for trends — if we identify accounts that violate these rules, we’ll take enforcement action.”
The trend had come from a circulating video from the Wednesday riot at the US Capitol.

Protestors can be heard chanting the phrase repeatedly in the video.
Some people have pointed out that allowing the term to trend on Twitter was hypocritical, seeing as President Trump was suspended from the platform earlier.


mastroiannib

A New York senator from Queens has copped major backlash for tweeting that since Wednesday’s attack on the Capitol, the 9/11 attack is no longer the most frightening thing thing he’s ever seen.
“Seeing the Twin Towers crumble is no longer the most frightening moment of my life,” he tweeted.

Since being posted at 4:26pm on Wednesday, it is still copping blowblack from users who have called it “tone-deaf”.

“Tell that to the families of those who died that day,” responded @CatalinaLauf.

“And to the men and women still suffering, being killed by the Global War on Terror as a result of that day. Truly shameful.”

One user even pointed out the senator’s brush with the law in 2014.

“You were this close to being indicted for campaign finance fraud,” he added, referencing the then-city comptroller’s brush with the law in 2014, during his failed run for mayor. “I imagine that was a bit more harrowing.”

Terrorists killed 2,753 people in Lower Manhattan on Sept. 11, 2001 when they crashed planes into the World Trade centre.

Five people were killed during the attack on the Capitol.

Liu has since told the New York Post that he was swept up by the emotional of the moment when he made the tweet.

“My tweet was an emotional response that failed to provide a fuller context and was not meant in any disrespect, especially to those who died on 9/11 and their families,” Liu said, adding, “9/11 is by far the most horrific and outrageous thing I’ve witnessed.” Still, the Capitol attack “evoked emotions of outrage, horror and fear that I haven’t felt since Sept. 11.,” Liu added.

“What happened on that day 20 years ago was by far the most horrific thing I saw in my life and can’t be compared, but watching on TV the American people’s house be attacked — not by terrorists but by other Americans — was frightening,” he added.

About the author

cvxgBWcuFA

Leave a Comment