The Test cricket season remains in limbo after Gladys Berejiklian accused the Queensland government of not co-operating with other stakeholders.
Ms Berejiklian said she would be “extremely disappointed” if the Australia v India Test series did not go ahead as planned as discussions about teams entering Queensland after playing in Sydney cast the Sydney and Brisbane tests in doubt.
Queensland’s chief health officer said authorities were continuing to discuss contingency plans with Cricket Australia, but teams would be subjected to the same rules as other codes previously in the year if Sydney was still a coronavirus hot spot in mid-January.
Cricket Australia is expected to announce on Tuesday whether the third Test can go ahead in Sydney and the fourth Test can be played in Brisbane.
The Australia v India series is set to continue in Sydney on January 1 and Brisbane on January 15; however, questions remain over whether the teams will be able to enter Queensland after wrapping up the planned Sydney match.
Speaking to the media, Ms Berejiklian said she had spoken to Cricket Australia earlier on Tuesday morning and the governing body had been complimentary about the co-operation with the NSW government but would not say the same about Queensland.
“(They) said they were concerned about the Queensland government’s position and what that meant for their players once they finish the Test here and go to Queensland,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“We have been given advice as to how to run a safe Test … We would be keen to see the Test in Sydney, but we can’t control what other state governments do. That is out of our hands.
“We are willing to keep it here and they are pleased with the plans we have put forward, but it is out of our hands given it is the Queensland government creating a bit of difficulty for them.”
Sydney has offered to host the Brisbane Test if a solution could not be reached between the Queensland government and Cricket Australia.
However, a decision on whether the New Year’s fixture can go ahead in Sydney rests on discussions with Queensland authorities.
If Sydney cannot host the third Test, it will be moved to Melbourne.
Ms Berejiklian said she would be “extremely disappointed” if the Test was not able to go ahead in Sydney.
“We have been around the clock working to support Cricket Australia and have done the best we can as well as them … but there are issues beyond our control,” she said.
“Every state government makes their own decision.”
Queensland chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young said there was no guarantee Sydney would still be classified as a hots pot by January 15, but arrangements made for other sporting codes earlier in the year were being discussed.
“(The teams) would need to follow the same arrangements when they travel from a hot spot, which means they go into quarantine, with the only reason they can leave for training or to play the match,” Dr Young said.
“There are decisions Cricket Australia needs to make. We have just made it clear what would need to occur if they play in Sydney, and that’s still a hot spot at the time.”
Queensland’s border restrictions will be reassessed on January 8.
“If Sydney is still a hot spot, we’re outlining what they would need to do if they wanted to come and play in Queensland,” Dr Young said.
“They can cross the border … They just need to go into hotel quarantine when they arrive if they’ve been in a hot spot.”
Further updates from Cricket Australia are expected to be made later on Tuesday.