NSW Health officials are pursuing a new COVID-19 trail after they were alerted to a Qantas staff member returning from overseas who boarded a domestic flight from Darwin to Sydney.
The flight took off on Friday and had few passengers, but all the flight details are not yet known, NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said on Wednesday.
“I‘d like to note that we have had a case in a Qantas staff member, who has returned from overseas and flown in through Darwin. And the person has flown on a domestic flight,” she said.
“There were a number of precautions in place but there will be a limited number of people on the flight. That was a Qantas flight departing Darwin to Sydney on December 18.
“This news has just come through so we don‘t have the flight details and any other details, but we wanted to advise you of that.”
The news comes as NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced eight locally transmitted cases had occurred in the past 24 hours, seven of those linked to the Avalon cluster.
Dr Chant also urged 140,000 residents across 36 suburbs on the Central Coast to come forward for testing after sewage detected traces of the virus near Gosford.
Earlier, supermarkets across Sydney and a number of other venues were added to the COVID health alerts list.
Multiple sites on the northern beaches and eastern suburbs have been slapped with new or updated warnings, as fears of wider transmission spreads following news the virus had reached the western suburbs and maybe even as far as Orange in the state’s Central West.
The latest list of new and updated alerts has been issued by NSW Health, with anyone who visited these venues at these times considered a close contact and must get tested and isolate for 14 days, regardless of whether a negative result is received.
These include the following:
- Paddington Alimentari cafe, 2 Hopetoun St, Paddington — Thursday, December 17 from 5.30am-6pm, Friday, 18 December, from 5.30am-6pm, and Saturday, December 18 from 5.30am-6pm
All patrons who were seated at this venue – inside or outside – at the above times should get tested immediately and isolate for 14 days regardless of the result.
Patrons who bought takeaway should monitor for symptoms, and isolate and get tested immediately should they appear.
- Charlie & Franks, IBM Plaza, Shop 1, 601 Pacific Highway, St Leonards, Wednesday, December 16 9am-10am
Staff and patrons who were at the venue on this day for at least one hour between 9am-10am are close contacts and should get tested and isolate for 14 days even if they receive a negative result.
Patrons who were there for less than one hour between 9am-10am are casual contacts and we are requesting that you get tested as soon as possible and isolate pending test results.
- Fitness First Mona Vale, Pittwater Place Shopping Centre, 10 Park St, Mona Vale, Thursday, December 17 – 11.30am-1pm
The following public transport routes, B1-2, have been updated, and the same 14-day isolation directive applies:
- Monday, December 14, departing Wynyard Station Stand B, 5.47pm, arriving Warriewood BLine, Pittwater Rd, 6.40pm
- Tuesday, December 15, departing Warriewood BLine, Pittwater Rd, 6.39am, arriving Wynyard Station Stand M, 7.29am
- Tuesday, December 15, departing Wynyard Station Stand B 6.28pm, arriving Warriewood BLine, Pittwater Rd, 6.21pm
- Wednesday, December 16, departing Warriewood BLine Pittwater Rd 6.53am, arriving Wynyard Station Stand M, 7.41am
- Wednesday, December 16, departing Wynyard Station Stand B 4.31pm, arriving Warriewood BLine, Pittwater Rd, 5.25pm
Anyone who visited the following venues is considered a casual contact who must immediately get tested and isolate until a negative result is received.
- Scoop Wholefoods, Shop 6, 10 Park Street, Mona Vale, all times on Wednesday, December 16 through to Friday December 18
- Scoop Wholefoods, 14 Spit Rd, Mosman, Thursday December 17 between 8am and 10am
- London Hotel, Paddington, Thursday December 17 between 8.15pm and 9.30pm
- Brooke Withers Swim School, Warriewood, Wednesday December 16 between 2pm and 3.30pm
- Warriewood Valley Playground Rocket Park, Warriewood, Thursday December 17 between 10.15am and 12.30pm
Those who visited the following venues are considered a casual contact and are asked to monitor for symptoms and immediately get tested and isolate if they appear.
- Woolworths, Avalon Beach, Saturday December 12, between 12.00pm and 12.15pm
- Fresh Delights Cafe, Belrose, Thursday December 17 between 9.00am and 10.00am
- Westfield Bondi Junction, Saturday December 19 between 10.00am and 1.00pm
- Westfield Warringah Mall, Saturday December 19 between 10.00am and 1.00pm
- Woolworths Metro, Cronulla St, Cronulla, Sunday December 13 between 11.00am and 12.00pm
- Davidson Pizzeria, Davidson, Friday December 18 between 6.15pm and 6.45pm
- Woolworths, Monday Vale, Sunday December 13 between 12.00pm and 12.30pm
- Pittwater Place, Mona Vale, Saturday December 19 between 12.00pm and 1.00pm
- Coles, Mona Vale, Sunday December 13 between 1.00pm and 3.00pm and Saturday December 19 between 12.00pm and 12.45pm
- Coles, Avalon Beach in Newport, Wednesday December 9 between 4.00pm and 4.20pm, Friday December 11 between 5.00pm an 7.00pm, Saturday December 12 between 3.15pm and 3.30pm, and Tuesday December 15 between 2.00pm and 2.15pm and between 8.00pm and 8.25pm
- Coles, Turramurra, Thursday December 17 between 10.00am and 10.30am and Friday December 18 between 10.30am and 11.00am
The full list of venues can be found here.