A shooting in Werribee in July was “retaliation” against an ex-boyfriend that wouldn’t stop sending scary texts, police allege.
Tiffany Ciancio, 26, was granted bail in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday charged with aggravated burglary after an incident that allegedly ended in her ex-boyfriend being shot in the foot as he fled.
Her lawyer Mihal Greener told the court the ex-boyfriend had been sending a large amount of “threatening and abusive” messages, including one referencing “the two of them bleeding out together”.
The court heard Ms Ciancio broke up with the 23-year-old about a week before the alleged shooting in the early hours of July 27.
When he wouldn’t stop texting her she feared for her safety and for her 13-year-old sister, Victoria Police Detective Senior Constable Andrew Barter told the court.
She “reached out” to an old friend, Andrew Whitham, and picked up two other men who have not been named, police allege.
The court was told Ciancio was allegedly the driver of the Ford Fiesta getaway car and the three men were the muscle when they showed up at the ex-boyfriend’s Werribee sharehouse about 12.40am.
They pushed past the woman who opened the door, who saw a silver-and-white handgun behind one of the men’s backs before she ran from the house, police allege.
Police allege the men then kicked a man sleeping on the couch and demanded to know where the ex-boyfriend was.
They allegedly busted down the ex-boyfriend’s door and he jumped out a window.
Police allege a single shot was discharged, hitting the ex in the foot as he ran away.
The victim “would not provide statement” and said he “doesn’t know why he would be targeted”, Detective Barter told the court.
He required surgery to remove the bullet from his foot, the court heard.
Ms Ciancio told police she didn’t know the men had guns when they went to the house, Detective Barter said.
Mr Whitham, 26, of Rockbank, was charged with aggravated home invasion, aggravated burglary, intentionally cause injury and prohibited person use firearm.
He did not apply for bail in his hearing on Wednesday morning.
The arrests were part of a sweep of raids across Melbourne on Tuesday by Victoria Police units including the anti-bikie gang Echo Taskforce.
Loot including an stolen Porsche Cayman was allegedly seized by police at residential properties in Altona Meadows, Manor Lakes, Wyndham, Rockbank and Kurunjang, as well as at two commercial properties in Melton.
Weapons seized included an imitation firearm, baton, knife, knuckle dusters, ammunition and handcuffs, and police also located a hydroponic drug set-up at the Rockbank premises, it is alleged.
Ms Ciancio and Mr Whitham were among five arrests coming out of the raids.
A 57-year-old Rockbank man was charged with cultivate drug of dependence, possess drug of dependence, possess imitation firearm and possess prohibited weapon, and has been bailed to face court at a later date.
A 49-year-old Manor Lakes man and a 24-year-old Wyndham Vale woman were released pending further enquiries.