Australia

SA records two new coronavirus cases

South Australia has recorded two new COVID-19 infections linked to the state’s Parafield cluster.Saturday’s figures brings the state’s total number of cases to 561 since the pandemic began.The new cases, both of which have been isolating, bring the Parafield cluster to 33 cases.There are now 19 active case across South Australia.SA Health’s Chief Public Health…

South Australia has recorded two new COVID-19 infections linked to the state’s Parafield cluster.

Saturday’s figures brings the state’s total number of cases to 561 since the pandemic began.

The new cases, both of which have been isolating, bring the Parafield cluster to 33 cases.

There are now 19 active case across South Australia.

SA Health’s Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said one of the new cases was a child who is a member of the original family linked to the cluster.

The second was a man in his 30s and a contact of a confirmed case.

He is a student of the Intensive English Language Institute — where all students had been previously told to quarantine after the school were linked to the cluster — and has been transferred to a medi-hotel.

Professor Spurrier said the Parafield cluster remained a concern and she was “a little disappointed” in the number of tests conducted on Friday, which was 3840.

“I’m sure some of the contribution to this was that it was very hot weather yesterday (so it) was difficult for people to get out,” she said.

“The testing rate was a bit low and I want to see it higher. I’d feel more reassured if we were testing more South Australians with respiratory symptoms.

“It is important that people — particularly those in the western suburbs — who have even the mildest symptoms get tested. It really is the key to our defence at this point in time for this Parafield cluster.”

There are about 5800 contacts in quarantine — about 800 more than yesterday — but Professor Spurrier said it had now been 14 days since some of those contacts began isolating so the numbers would begin to drop.

On Friday, the state recorded no new cases and an announcement was made by Premier Steven Marshall who said a number of restrictions would be eased as of Tuesday.

They include increasing the capacity for funerals and private functions to 150 people, allowing drinking and dancing at weddings and resuming community sport.

He also said SA would lift its tough border restrictions with Victoria on December 1.

There have been more than 715,000 COVID-19 tests conducted in SA to date.

About the author

cvxgBWcuFA

Leave a Comment