Australia

One new infection for SA

South Australia’s top public health officer feels “quietly confident” the state has beat its second wave but has urged caution for the next two weeks. Comments from SA Health’s Professor Nicola Spurrier come as the state recorded one new infection of COVID-19 on Monday.It brings the number of linked cases to the Parafield cluster to…

South Australia’s top public health officer feels “quietly confident” the state has beat its second wave but has urged caution for the next two weeks.

Comments from SA Health’s Professor Nicola Spurrier come as the state recorded one new infection of COVID-19 on Monday.

It brings the number of linked cases to the Parafield cluster to 27 but Prof. Spurrier was quick to clarify the new case had already been in hotel quarantine.

Professor Spurrier said she felt very confident and proud of her contact tracing team.

“The team have got hold of everybody that is critical and were tying up loose ends; making sure questions were answered, making sure calls were answered and returned calls were made,” she said.

“Like the Premier said, I’m feeling quietly confident we’ve got on top of this in SA but everybody has a responsibility.”

She said the next 14 days were “critical” for the state and again urged anyone who has symptoms — regardless of how mild — to get tested immediately.

“If it leaked out and we couldn‘t get hold of every single, possible close contact and their close contact, this week and next week we would start to see some cases which is why we’re urging all South Australian to wear a face mask.

“If and when we do have another case we’ll be able to do a risk assessment and work out who needs to go into quarantine and can cut off that ongoing chain of transmission.

“It not only protects you but it protects the whole community.”

She urged people who used public transport to wear masks and reiterated her desire for people to work from home.

Premier Steven Marshall said he was hopeful to borders arrangements would be normalised as soon as possible.

“This time last Monday I said SA had to rise to a new challenge … and that’s exactly what SA did,” he said.

“Because of the actions we had taken and the work South Australians have done, we have avoided this second wave.

“I’m feeling very positive and optimistic that heading into Christmas we will be celebrating new found freedoms.”

He said more than 8600 tests were conducted on Sunday.

There is one person who remains in hospital, who is connected to the cluster, and more than 4000 residents considered close contacts to diagnosed cases are in isolation.

The state’s total has now reached 556 cases with 38 considered active.

About the author

cvxgBWcuFA

Leave a Comment