South Australians who work at truck stops and roadhouses as well as bakeries are now allowed to leave their homes during the state’s lockdown.
The COVID-19 directions were updated overnight to classify additional people as essential workers.
The list now includes those who work at:
- Bakeries that supply baked goods on a wholesale basis (but do not see or supply or sell on a retail basis to members of the public)
- Domestic and commercial waste and resource recovery services (including collection, treatment and disposal services and transfer stations) that are provided to commercial contractors
- Commonwealth agency services, including Australian Border Force and commonwealth law enforcement and intelligence agency services
- Administrative services provided by an employer to enable their employees to work from home
- Port operations
- Truck stops and roadhouses (no provision of seated dining or shower facilities to people other than truck drivers)
- Commercial operations that supply goods or services necessary for the implementation of measures to limit the spread of COVID-19
Under the direction, essential workers can also be driven to and from work in their private vehicle by their spouse, domestic partner or parent as long as they take the most direct and practicable route.
Police Commissioner Grant Stevens described Adelaide as a “ghost town” and said the community’s response to the six-day “circuit breaker” had been exceptional.
“People are doing their very best to abide by these restrictions in an effort to make sure this is a short thing. It is a genuine collective effort to make sure this lockdown and as short as possible,” he said on Nine’s Today show
He later told ABC Radio a handful of fines were issued on Thursday.
There were people spotted at the beach and some non-essential businesses opened.
“We’ve seen a couple of isolated incidents where people are not thinking about the bigger picture, but we’re taking a handful of people compared to over a million people doing the right thing,” Mr Stevens said.
“Last night we happened to come across a party in the Adelaide CBD that resulted in seven people being given expiation notices, and we also seized over 1.5 litres of (liquid) fantasy, and two people were arrested for drug offences as a result.”
Mr Stevens said he believed South Australians would continue to abide by the restrictions despite having few cases linked to the Parafield cluster over the past two days.
“It may be an easier sell if we had a continuing increase in number of cases,” he said. “It’s the opposite of what we want, and my sense from the community is that people are prepared to do this, and if there are no new cases, it is a good thing and we got in front of this and there are no efforts wasted.
“If you don’t step in quick enough with these sorts of action, by the time you decide it’s necessary it’s too late, so it was a strong move that had to be taken.”