On the state’s first day of its lockdown, South Australia has recorded no new COVID-19 infections.
The state’s total number of cases remains at 551 with 35 considered active.
There remains 23 people linked to the Parafield cluster.
The cluster — which had its first cases contract the virus from a quarantine hotel — caused concern for authorities, sparking the six-day lockdown that began on Thursday.
There are very few reasons a person can leave their home during the lockdown, including going grocery shopping — which also has limitations — and essential workers doing their jobs.
SA Health’s Chief Public Health Officer Professor Nicola Spurrier said the strain of COVID-19 involved could spread from person to person within three days.
She said a six day lockdown gave her team time to chase the next two generations of the virus.
“My team have been working around the clock to get everybody followed up to about the fourth generation,” Professor Spurrier said on ABC Radio.
“That was a day or two ago and we know the fifth generation could be out there so we’re working to a really tight timeline to make all the phone calls and get people into quarantine.”
There were only two new infections recorded on Wednesday, both linked to the cluster of concern.
There have been more than 605,000 tests conducted across SA so far.
Thousands of people braved long wait times to be tested at sites across the state for the past three days. Some waited up to 10 hours or longer.
More to come.