Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Netflix documentary will focus on why the couple quit the royal family and include personal videos, it was claimed today.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex previously insisted they were “not taking part in any reality shows” after news of the deal, rumoured to be worth $130-170 million, was announced.
But it was reported today the show about the couple would concentrate on their first year after quitting the royal family and their new life in the US.
A source told The Mail on Sunday the couple will share video footage of the last time they left their Windsor home, Frogmore Cottage.
It was further claimed their reps had even pitched personal videos filmed as they stepped away from the royal family during negotiations with the streaming giant.
Reasons why the couple fled the UK will also form part of the documentary.
Prince Harry, 36, and Meghan, 39, have continued their work with charities since moving to the US, while also appearing on shows and at speaking events.
The details surrounding the couple’s programming with Netflix come as the latest season of The Crown is released today – depicting Princess Diana’s eating disorder and Prince Charles’ affair.
One insider said: “There are raised eyebrows about Harry taking millions from the company that’s behind all this.”
Another said Prince William was “none too pleased” with the Netflix show, saying: “He feels that both his parents are being exploited and being presented in a false, simplistic way to make money.”
RELATED: Sex scandal The Crown left out
The Sussexes’ spokesperson had previously denied they would be in a “reality show”.
But a Netflix source told The Sun the couple’s denial was just “splitting hairs”.
They said: “Harry and Meghan’s publicity team have gone into overdrive to quash any notion of them filming a tacky reality series.
“Essentially they are splitting hairs. There will be a fly-on-the-wall series but obviously it won’t be warts and all, or about their personal life.
“They are very keen to highlight their worthy charity work and cameras will film them going from one good cause to another. For example, when they drop food off at food banks – a camera will be there to capture it.”
Harry and Meghan are expected to be producers on numerous projects in 2021 on Netflix.
As part of the deal, the couple will make documentaries, films and kids’ programs for the platform’s 193 million subscribers.
But a source previously said former actress Meghan wants to step in front of the camera so the world can see the “real her”.
They added: “It will be tasteful. They want to give people a glimpse into their lives.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex signed the production deal with Netflix to make content that would inform and “give hope” to audiences.
Just days later, the couple confirmed they had paid back the full $A4.35 million spent on refurbishing their home in the UK.
Announcing the deal, the couple said: “Our lives, both independent of each other, and as a couple have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit – of courage, resilience, and the need for connection.
“Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope.
“As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us, as is powerful storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens.”
This story originally appeared on The Sun and has been reproduced here with permission