A firefighter was called to respond to a blaze at his own home this week – only to find his wife dead from the fire inside.
Corey Logan, a firefighter in Miami-Dade County, Florida, raced to his home in Homestead on Tuesday afternoon, to find it filled with smoke.
According to the Miami Herald, Mr Logan rushed inside, where he found his wife dead in their bedroom, as she was unable to escape the flames.
“He was one of the first in. He was on the engine company that responded,” a source told the Herald of what happened.
A GoFundMe page for Corey that was set up by co-worker Christopher Morales says that on Tuesday, the firefighter was working an overtime shift when they got the call just after lunch.
Corey, according to the fundraising site, received a Ring notification on his phone “which showed a neighbour frantically banging on his front door which led him to believe something was wrong at his house.”
The firefighter was said to be a caretaker for his wife, who suffered from medical issues, and when he got the notification, they “hopped on the rig and headed to his house lights and sirens.”
When they arrived at his home, the GoFundMe said Corey “knew it immediately.”
“Unfortunately when we arrived we had the worst case scenario. There was heavy smoke and fire coming from his house [with] his wife inside.
“We did our job and put the fire out and searched as fast as we could but were too late. She passed away as a result of the fire. This is a Fireman’s worst nightmare!”
Corey’s friend continued: “Not only did he show up first to his house burning, but also lost the love of his life as a result of the fire as well. His whole world has been flipped upside down and he needs our help!”
Corey, a firefighter for over 20 years, was said to be the “heart and soul” of Miami-Dade’s Station 6.
“His energy is infectious and is hands down one of the best on The Job!”
Fire department spokesperson Erika Benitez told the Herald: “At this time, out of respect for the family, we kindly ask for privacy as they are dealing with this tragic loss.”
“We thank you for your patience and co-operation as we are focusing on supporting our firefighter and their family.”
It wasn’t immediately clear what sparked the fire in their Florida home.
This article originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced here with permission