Militant far-right group – the Proud Boys – has repeatedly claimed it is not a neo-Nazi organisation over the years, but it may be headed down a more extreme path as infighting boils over in the wake of the US election.
Some members are ready to openly embrace being a racist organisation and are dropping any pretences of wanting support of non-white people after claiming the group is failing to address “white genocide” and “failures of multiculturalism” in its current form.
The fracture has been exposed in a message sent to members by white nationalist Kyle Chapman – who set up the “tactical defence arm” of the Proud Boys.
The encrypted message, being widely circulated on social media, shows Mr Chapman saying he is tired of hiding the group’s true cause and used racial slurs against group’s chairman Enrique Tarrio.
He said the group should be renamed “Proud Goys”, which is the Hebrew word for a non-Jewish person.
“Due to the recent failure of Proud Boy Chairman Enrique Tarrio to conduct himself with honour and courage on the battlefield, it has been decided that I, Kyle Chapman, re-assume my post as President of Proud Boys effective immediately,” Mr Chapman wrote.
“Our logo will forthwith be changed to reflect the core beliefs of Proud Boy members.
“We will no longer cuck to the left by appointing token negroes as our leaders. We will no longer allow homosexuals or other ‘undesirables’ into our ranks. We will confront the Zionist criminals who wish to destroy our civilisation.
“We recognise that the West was built by the White Race alone and we owe nothing to any other race.”
The message came one day after Mr Chapman slammed Mr Tarrio’s “inaction and fear” in a video that appeared to show Mr Tarrio and two other people being injured during a knife attack in Washington, D.C. on November 4.
The Proud Boys and other far-right groups are planning a “Million MAGA March” in Washington on Saturday in support of President Donald Trump.
Mr Trump was labelled a “national embarrassment” in recent weeks for failing to explicitly denounce white supremacist and far-right groups.
During the first presidential debate, Mr Trump was specifically asked to denounce groups such as the Proud Boys – but failed to do so.
The US’s Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) issued an intelligence report last month warning of an imminent “violent extremist threat” posed by a far-right militia, including white supremacists, according to The Nation.
The agency identified the current election period up to the 2021 inauguration as a “potential flashpoint”.
During the presidential debate on Wednesday, Mr Trump lashed out at the leftist Antifa movement and other participants for their sometimes violent protests against police abuse and racism over the past several months.
Antifa groups believe in aggressively confronting far-right groups, arguing the Nazis would never have achieved power if people had fought them in the streets in the 1920s. Among them are communists and anarchists, and groups who believe in confronting the police.
Asked whether Mr Trump would likewise condemn armed right-wing and white supremacist groups – specifically the Proud Boys – the President said “sure” but then seemed reluctant to do so.
“Almost everything I see is from the left wing, not from the right wing,” Mr Trump said.
“Proud Boys, stand back and stand by,” he continued.
“I’ll tell you what, somebody’s got to do something about Antifa and the left, because this is not a right-wing problem. This is a left-wing problem.”