Lifestyle News

Woman’s ‘disgusting’ find in Baker’s Delight pizza

A woman was shocked to discover dozen of maggots in a pizza roll she purchased from her local Baker’s Delight on Thursday morning.The Sydney mother bought a BBQ pizza roll for her daughter at the Neutral Bay Baker’s Delight in the lower North Shore when the pair spotted the gruesome find.By the time her daughter…

A woman was shocked to discover dozen of maggots in a pizza roll she purchased from her local Baker’s Delight on Thursday morning.

The Sydney mother bought a BBQ pizza roll for her daughter at the Neutral Bay Baker’s Delight in the lower North Shore when the pair spotted the gruesome find.

By the time her daughter realised there were maggots in her food, she had already eaten half the pizza.

“The food was moving,” the mother described in visceral detail to Seven News.

RELATED: Syringe allegedly stuck in bread at Woolies

RELATED: Pins found in strawberries again

The woman took photos and at least a dozen maggots are visible, hiding between the ham and the pizza bread.

“It was just vile,” she told the publication. “There was a party going on in there.”

A company spokesperson told news.com.au that the retail chain has launched an urgent investigation.

The store was closed down for “deep cleaning” the very next day “as a precaution”, according to the spokesperson.

“The Bakers Delight Support Office has been in regular contact with the customer since this matter was reported on Thursday and a thorough investigation is already well underway,” they said.

“We are awaiting the outcome of our investigation and welcome the opportunity to speak further with the local health authority.

“Our bakeries are fully committed to food safety and are required to implement and maintain the Bakers Delight Food Safety and Pest Control Programs.”

The spokesperson said that as part of its programs, bakeries are assessed by licensed pest technicians every month.

“It is to ensure issues are identified and actions are implemented early in order to minimise pest activity as much as possible.”

They emphasised that “this type of incident is uncommon” in their stores.

The customer described it as a “public health safety concern”.

“One that I feel should be shared publicly to raise awareness. For this to happen is just poor,” the mother said.

She said the moment her daughter realised her mistake of eating half the pizza roll she “just screamed”.

“Then she said ‘Oh my God, I’m going to be sick,’” she explained to Seven News.

“When I asked her what was wrong, she said ‘My food is moving.’

“I couldn’t believe it when I saw the worms, it was just disgusting.”

Leave a Comment

X

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus.