News Sports

Eddie responds to star’s trade drama

Eddie McGuire isn’t stressing about star forward Jordan De Goey’s contract drama despite conceding rival clubs are circling.Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley on Saturday night suggested money was the main sticking point in the ongoing contract negotiations between the club and De Goey after the club was belted out of the 2020 AFL Finals at the…

Eddie McGuire isn’t stressing about star forward Jordan De Goey’s contract drama despite conceding rival clubs are circling.

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley on Saturday night suggested money was the main sticking point in the ongoing contract negotiations between the club and De Goey after the club was belted out of the 2020 AFL Finals at the hands of Geelong at the Gabba.

Watch the 2020 Toyota AFL Finals Series on Kayo with every game before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

De Goey’s signature has been a priority for Collingwood for the entire season, but he remains uncontracted beyond the 2020 season heading into the 2020 AFL Trade Period.

Reports last week claimed rival Carlton has emerged as a serious suitor to tempt De Goey away from the Magpies.

McGuire echoed Buckley’s comments on Saturday night by suggesting on Monday that the club remains confident of striking a deal.

Buckley’s comments have been widely interpreted as a shot at De Goey’s father, who has taken up the role of manager since De Goey elected to head into his contract-negotiation season without any official AFL accredited player agent.

Buckley conceded it is football’s new reality that players’ representatives will speak to rival clubs even when they want to remain where they are.

“Jordy wants to play at Collingwood, we want him to stay at Collingwood. Hopefully (we’ll) be able to get a deal done,” McGuire said on Triple M’s Hot Breakfast.

“Of course he’s going to talk to them. He’s going to talk to everybody. He’s going to have it all in front of him and then they can make a decision. There’s no worries about that. That’s the world we live in these days.

“Every player out of contract’s manager is speaking to every club to see what’s out there at the moment, so he’s no different to anyone else.

“As I said, he wants to stay. We want him to stay. If we can get the deal done, and we hope to get the deal done, then it’ll get done.”

Buckley said Saturday: “There still needs to be a monetary outcome that is satisfactory to both parties.”

BOMBERS STAR JOINS EXODUS

Orazio Fantasia has continued the stream of players walking out on the club with the Adelaide Crows confirming the Bombers star has requested a trade back to South Australia.

According to reports, Fantasia is now hoping to strike a deal with the Crows or Port Adelaide, despite having a full season to run on his contract with Essendon.

His move comes after the Bombers were last week rocked by the news Joe Daniher and Adam Saad both want out of the club.

It comes after Essendon football department boss Dan Richardson said Fantasia had not requested a trade last week when reports first emerged.

“I know there’s been some discussion about a couple of other players in the media and you’re probably referring to Orazio at this point in time,” Richardson told SEN’s Bob and Andy.

“He hasn’t requested a trade. He has expressed periods of homesickness and he’s certainly got a very close connection family-wise back in Adelaide.

“If there was a request forthcoming for him to want to return there, then I don’t think that would be a surprise, but we’ll cross that bridge when it comes to it.”

Fantasia last year backflipped on a reported trade request to Port Adelaide, deciding to remain with Essendon for 2020.

Crows football boss Adam Kelly on Monday confirmed Fantasia wants to return home

“We understand he wants to come back to South Australia,” he said on SEN.

“Any player that’s gone interstate who wants to return home we’re keen to talk to and understand what their motivations are.

“We’re just not sure where that one will lie and how that will play out, but we’re always keen to talk to South Australians who want to come home.”

Meanwhile, Essendon celebrated some rare positive news on Monday when the club announced former No. 1 draft pick Andrew McGrath has re-signed for another two-years.

The new deal will see the 22-year-old remain at the Bombers until at least the end of 2022.

ST KILDA CUTS FIVE PLAYERS

St Kilda on Sunday confirmed five players have been delisted from its 2020 roster.

As the club came together for the Trevor Barker Award on Sunday, the club said farewell to Doulton

Langlands, Ryan Abbott, Jack Bell, Jack Mayo and Logan Austin.

They join retired veteran Nathan Brown as the club’s initial list changes.

Head of List Management James Gallagher thanked the players in a club statement.

“These are never easy decisions, particularly after the sacrifices every one of our players has made this year living away from home for an extended period,” he said.

“We thank them for their commitment to our program and for contributing to the growth of the playing group.

“We wish them well in their next endeavours.”

Leave a Comment

X

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus.