News Sports

Teacher’s horrendous holiday souvenir

A teacher enjoying a well-earned break in Queensland’s far north came has brought home a souvenir that he will remember for all the wrong reasons.Liam was wading in shallows off Cape York accidentally stood on a stingray and ended up with a massive barb lodged in his leg.Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) said both Liam and…

A teacher enjoying a well-earned break in Queensland’s far north came has brought home a souvenir that he will remember for all the wrong reasons.

Liam was wading in shallows off Cape York accidentally stood on a stingray and ended up with a massive barb lodged in his leg.

Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) said both Liam and the stingray got quite the fright.

Paramedics were quickly on the scene. They took the teacher to nearby Bamaga Hospital, and he was flown to Cairns for surgery to remove the barb.

In pictures shared by the QAS, Liam is seen in hospital with his feet submerged in hot water.

“If you ever find yourself on the end of a stingray barb, the best antidote for the pain from their toxin is to submerge the affected area in hot (not boiling) water, as you can see by the innovative use of the green bins by the staff at Bamaga Hospital,” QAS said on Facebook.

QAS said one way of avoiding a similar incident is by creating noise and vibrations when walking in the shallows.

The service joked Liam brought home an unusual story for “show and tell” to his students.

On a serious note, Liam is lucky to have recovered so quickly as stingray barbs produce a venom that can be deadly to humans.

In 2006, environmentalist and TV personality Steve Irwin died after being struck by a stingray while filming in north Queensland.

Leave a Comment

X

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus.