A new book by the historian for Netflix’s The Crown is set to reveal what really happened at the Sandringham summit.
According to the Daily Mail, the new book is already a cause of concern for the Palace, with Lacey telling the publication they refused to read the chapters he sent them.
He said they probably “took fright over the title”, adding: “If this breach between the brothers is not healed in some way it will come to stand with the abdication crisis and the death of Diana as one of the traumas that changed the monarchy. There is time to change things in a positive direction, but at the moment the Palace is not working in that direction.”
Lacey’s explosive new book comes after Finding Freedom: Harry And Meghan And The Making Of A Modern Royal Family gave a tell-all account of how the couple made the decision to step back as senior members of the royal family.
Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand’s biography caused controversy for claiming Harry felt that the “old guard” at Buckingham Palace disliked Meghan – and that Prince William was “snobbish” about the American actress.
Battle of Brothers: William, Harry And The Inside Story Of A Family In Tumult promises to give an inside look at the relationship between the two princes – charting from their childhood to the present day.
It will also cover the beginning of Harry and Meghan’s relationship when Prince William was allegedly worried about the speed of the romance.
Esteemed historian Lacey claims to have sources very close to the royals – with his previous works including biographies of the Queen, Sir Walter Raleigh and Eileen Ford.
Lacey will reportedly reveal the “real, unvarnished story” of what happened during the Sandringham Summit when the terms of Megxit were decided.
The Queen summoned Prince Harry, Prince William and Prince Charles to Sandringham in January for crunch talks about Meghan and Harry’s future in the royal family.
The book will also include details from a “high-level insider” who has never spoken before about the dispute between William and Harry when the Sussexes announced they were leaving the Firm, according to Tatler.
The book, which will be published on October 15, comes as Harry and Meghan have reportedly agreed to be filmed for a fly-on-the-wall reality series.
It had been thought that a $203 million Netflix deal would have them work only behind the camera – but a source said Meghan wants the world to see the “real her”.
Meghan and Harry have since denied the claims, with a statement saying today that they are “not taking part” in any reality shows.
This article originally appeared in The Sun and was reproduced here with permission