Entertainment News

Boy George takes a sassy swipe at Seven amid The Voice judge rumours

Former Channel 9 The Voice coach Boy George appears to have confirmed he’s been axed from the talent contest as it prepares to move networks next year — taking a sassy dig at the show in the process.As rumours continue to swirl surrounding who will replace the current coaching line-up of Delta Goodrem, Guy Sebastian,…

Former Channel 9 The Voice coach Boy George appears to have confirmed he’s been axed from the talent contest as it prepares to move networks next year — taking a sassy dig at the show in the process.

As rumours continue to swirl surrounding who will replace the current coaching line-up of Delta Goodrem, Guy Sebastian, Kelly Rowland and Boy George when The Voice moves to Channel 7 in 2021, the Culture Club icon is making his opinion known with a healthy dose of shade, much to the delight of fans.

This time, he’s offered his two cents on the rumours Lorde is joining the team — again suggesting Seven “can’t afford him”.

RELATED: Mariah Carey tipped to be Seven’s new judge on The Voice

Off the back of Monday’s wild rumours that Seven has approached Mariah Carey for a spot in the swivel chair down under, Grammy-winner Lorde is said to be in the network’s sights.

Woman’s Day has reported the Kiwi artist might nab a coaching role, as well as ARIA-winner Tones & I.

The publication also suggested Australian Idol alum Ricki-Lee Coulter has put her hand up.

Responding to the whispers on Twitter, Boy George offered the ultimate backhanded compliment to 23-year-old Royals singer, writing: “If the @TheVoiceAU are suggesting that @lorde is cheaper than me than today is a great day! Lol!”

RELATED: Boy George’s hilarious response to Voice ‘dumping’

His comments come after he told followers Seven “couldn’t afford him”, mirroring recent reports the channel is attempting to cut costs on the show in its new iteration.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the network felt Nine “spent too much on B-listers” and would rather spend money on big name replacements.

“One of the big changes Seven plans to make is how much is being spent on coaches,” a source close to The Voice claimed.

While Boy George’s salary has not been confirmed, the Daily Mail recently quoted a “production source” who said he was Nine’s highest paid coach at $3 million.

Last month, Seven announced it had secured the rights to the singing competition over its rivals, prompting a catty response from Nine.

“Unfortunately due to the age of the show and declining demographic profile, The Voice had become by far the poorest financial performer on our slate. We wish Seven well in their quest to revive yet another Nine show,” a spokesman said.

Since the announcement, it is likely that Goodrem, 35, will leave the show after her own “salary conflict” arose, as reported by The Daily Telegraph.

It seems there might be enough in the budget for one music megastar if recent reports are true.

On Monday, the Sydney Morning Herald claimed negotiations were already underway for Mariah Carey.

Seven is allegedly in talks with other local artists to join the panel, alongside Guy Sebastian, 38, who is likely to be re-signed.

The Daily Telegraph also reported earlier this month that Seven was “set to axe coaches Boy George and Kelly Rowland” to cut costs.

Boy George addressed the rumours first fuelled by New Idea that he was to be dumped when the show moves networks.

Advised to “hang in there” by one fan on Twitter, he quipped: “Yeah I’m down to my last jar of metaphorical caviar. Can I move into your spare bedroom?”

While The Daily Telegraph made no mention of Carey or Lorde, it revealed the network was “in talks” with Usher, Kylie Minogue and Jessica Mauboy as potential replacements.

Meanwhile, Sonia Kruger, 55, will return to her hosting duties for the show in 2021 after defecting from Nine to Seven last year.

When contacted by news.com.au, Seven declined to comment on the new coach rumours.



Leave a Comment

X

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus.