The area around Paris’ Eiffel Tower has been evacuated as a precaution after police received a call over a “bomb threat”, local media reports.
Police were seen cordoning off the landmark at Wednesday midday local time after a phonecall is said to have claimed explosives were left there.
French journalist Amaury Bucco said “Perimeter of Tour Eiffel cordoned off, police operation in progress,” citing a police source.
Local news station BFMTV said the police checks are currently underway after a call was made to the police, explaining that a bomb had been placed there.
The company that runs the Eiffel Tower said the evacuation was precautionary after an anonymous tip off to police.
A source at the tower told The Sun: “The Eiffel Tower is currently closed until further notice, because of an unidentified caller saying a bomb has been planted. There has been an evacuation
“Checks are being carried out, and a safety perimeter has been set up in the meantime. This is a routine precaution.”
The Eiffel Tower only recently reopened – with limited numbers – after three months closed during coronavirus lockdown.
In normal times six million people a year – around 25,000 a day – ascend to the 906ft top deck.
Parisian police confirmed officers had cordoned off the area and were checking the site.