Australia

NT declared officially COVID-free

The Northern Territory is officially clinically COVID-free after recording no new cases in more than 28 days.The Territory has now said it could begin relaxing some rules for interstate travellers.Chief Minister Michael Gunner said the Territory would remain vigilant against COVID-19.“Our hard border controls are still there and will stay there for a long time.…

The Northern Territory is officially clinically COVID-free after recording no new cases in more than 28 days.

The Territory has now said it could begin relaxing some rules for interstate travellers.

Chief Minister Michael Gunner said the Territory would remain vigilant against COVID-19.

“Our hard border controls are still there and will stay there for a long time. We have cops on borders and in airports, forced quarantine for hot spots, and tough consequences for rule-breakers,” the NT Newsreported him as saying.

“We will keep doing whatever it takes to stay the safest place in Australia,” he said.

RELATED: Follow our live coronavirus coverage

The most recent cases in the NT were on July 31 and August 1. A man on a flight from Melbourne to Darwin found out he had the virus just before he arrived. He was already planning on going into quarantine and had been in a different part of the plane to other passengers. The man’s partner tested positive the next day.

This is not the first time the NT has been declared COVID free. It also reached that milestone in May when it had gone six weeks without a case. However, a number of interstate and overseas arrivals, including a US marine with COVID-19, saw the virus reintroduced to the Top End.

The Territory has seen just 34 cases and currently has zero active case of coronavirus.

SYDNEY COULD BE TAKEN OFF NT HOTSPOT LIST

The news after the Territory Government said Greater Sydney could be removed from a hotspot list in early October provided case numbers continued to fall. Sydney was put on the list in July.

Last month Brisbane and some regional areas of New South Wales were also taken off the hotspot list.

From Friday 9 October, Sydney residents will not need to undergo any quarantine to enter the NT

Sydney’s removal from the list would mean only Victorians would have to quarantine to enter the Territory.

Leave a Comment