News Sports

Bellamy slams ‘bulls**t’ death threats

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy has blasted cowardly online trolls who have sent death threats to NRL centre Curtis Scott.In January, Scott was intoxicated and barely conscious as he was arrested metres from NRL headquarters in Moore Park about 2:10am on January 27th.The 22-year-old was accused of serious allegations, including assaulting and resisting police following…

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy has blasted cowardly online trolls who have sent death threats to NRL centre Curtis Scott.

In January, Scott was intoxicated and barely conscious as he was arrested metres from NRL headquarters in Moore Park about 2:10am on January 27th.

The 22-year-old was accused of serious allegations, including assaulting and resisting police following boozy Anzac Day celebrations.

Earlier this week, dramatic footage of Scott being tasered and mocked by police was played in court a day after the charges laid against him were sensationally dropped.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

The Canberra Raiders star later revealed he and his family were subjected to online abuse — including death threats — following the incident.

Speaking to reporters following Sunday’s 36-20 victory over the North Queensland Cowboys, Bellamy slammed the “bulls**t” online trolls who have targeted Scott and former Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Seibold.

“I think it’s a disgrace. Some of the stuff that Anthony Seibold went through as well,” Bellamy said.

“We don’t want that. Whatever anyone does, at the end of the day, to be copping that sort of stuff … it’s bad enough players or coaches or people in the game copping that.

“It’s when your family gets thrown into it that’s when it’s really wrong.

“We shouldn’t have to put up with that with players, but family shouldn’t have to put up with that. Any sort of family.

“That’s crap, that’s bulls**t.

“I don’t know how you stop that, I’ve got no idea how social media works. But when you hear stuff like that I’m not really keen to find out.

“If some people think that’s OK I think some people have a warped sense of what’s right and what’s wrong.

“I don’t understand it, and don’t really want to understand it. It’s hugely unfair when families get put under pressure.”

Scott played 49 NRL games and scored 19 tries for Melbourne before he signed with the Raiders last year.

Scott was sentenced for two counts of offensive behaviour in public, having pleaded guilty to those charges at an earlier court date. No conviction was recorded.

CCTV showed him kick and stomp on a bicycle chained to a pole on Regent St. The court heard that came before he punched the driver’s side door of a taxi and threw his mobile phone at a passing Suzuki Swift.

In dismissing the charges, Magistrate Jennifer Giles said Scott had already been punished by the intense media scrutiny surrounding the incident and stress at possibly losing his career.

“You are clearly a smart person Mr Scott, you are the kind of person on whom this experience has not been wasted,” Giles said.

“Being capsicum sprayed whilst you are handcuffed and not decontaminated for some 19-odd minutes, that’s much worse than anything I can do to you.”

— With NCA NewsWire

Leave a Comment