Channel 7’s multimillion-dollar squabble with Cricket Australia has reportedly seen the broadcaster demand that this summer’s Big Bash League be canned.
The free-to-air broadcaster this week took the first step towards ripping up its contract with CA with four years left on a $82 million-a-year deal.
The Sydney Morning Herald reported on Saturday tensions have since escalated between the two parties with Seven wanting the BBL to be aborted.
Watch every ball of Australia’s Tour of England Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >
Insiders told the publication that the scrapping of the BBL’s 10th season was one of several demands made by the network along with changes to the Test schedule — demands which CA has dismissed.
The possibility of Australia’s four-Test series against India finishing in Brisbane in mid-to-late January is an issue for Seven who stands to lose more money under such an extension because of advertising rates compared to those during the holiday period, SMH reports.
Seven is now believed to be not prepared to pay CA its next $33 million instalment which is due on Tuesday.
The network sent CA a legal letter earlier this week declaring its intentions to walk away from its deal, arguing the cricket governing body breached their contract.
CA deny the letter was a termination letter, News Corp reported.
Seven is furious with CA, saying the BBL will be a diminished product because high profile players will be missing to international duty or quarantine hubs.
“Cricket Australia remains in ongoing discussions with the Seven Network about delivering a compelling summer of cricket,” CA said in a statement.
“CA is committed to fulfilling its contractual obligations to all its partners this season.”