Seven different kinds of bunk beds have been recalled over fears they could collapse and kill children.
The bunks are made by Fitting Furniture and the recall is for products purchased between February 22, 2016 and May 30, 2019.
The company warned the plastic brackets holding the bunk beds together could crack or break.
“This may be caused by the over-tightening of the screws on the brackets or by misuse, for example, repeated jumping on or climbing over the sides of the bed,” it said on its website.
“The relevant brackets were made of all plastic and were used in both single and double versions.
“The defect has, in some circumstances, led to the bracket either cracking or breaking completely. If such cracking or breaking occurs while the bunk bed is being used, it can cause the bunk bed to collapse, potentially causing serious injury or even death to the user.”
READ MORE: Toddlers burnt in emergency drill
READ MORE: Horrific final hours of 3yo’s life revealed
Fitting Furniture said the defect could be rectified by replacing the current brackets with upgraded metal brackets.
“You should immediately stop using the bunk bed and contact us to receive (free of charge) a set of upgraded replacement metal brackets, including a new set of fixing screws and covers,” the company said.
Anyone who has on-sold the product is being urged to contact the company to help them trace all current owners of the relevant bunks.
READ MORE: Kids’ toy canned over ‘perverse’ detail
BUNK BEDS RECALLED
1. Bunk Bed Compact Mini Low Height – Innovative Design! – BNKMIDCOM1
2. Bunk Bed Mid Height with built in Bookshelf – BNKMIDBook1
3. Bunk Bed with built in Bookshelf & optional trundle or drawers – BNKBook101
4. Cubby House Bunk Bed With Open Shelves – LFTCBBYOS
5. High loft bed with Open shelves & Optional 2 Drawer Desk – LFTWDSK
6. Triple Bunk Bed – Single over double bed + Optional trundle – BNKTP2
7.Triple Transverse bunk bed – Three single beds in one – BNKTP1