The two AFL players charged over an alleged strip club brawl should be sent back to Victoria, according to Queensland’s opposition leader who has slammed the latest “slap in the face” for Queenslanders.
Two Richmond players were arrested at 3.30am on Friday after they allegedly became embroiled in a physical altercation outside a strip club in Surfers Paradise.
The Courier-Mail has identified the pair.
A Queensland Police spokesperson said both men sustained facial industries, and had been issued with a banning notice, which excludes them from Gold Coast nightclub district.
They have both also been stung with a fine for public nuisance.
Investigations are ongoing, but Liberal National Party leader Deb Frecklington said it showed “bad judgment” that Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk “trusted these sporting stars to do the right thing”.
“Annastacia Palaszczuk rolled out the red carpet for AFL players, officials and their families while everyday Australians with critical medical conditions have been ignored,” Ms Frecklington said.
“If two players from the special AFL hub were in a strip club and then involved in a late-night brawl, then they should be sent back to Victoria.
“Reckless behaviour like this puts the lives and livelihoods of Queenslanders at risk.”
An AFL spokesman said the league was “aware of the matter and is currently investigation”.
It comes as Queenslanders slam the “double standard” of strict border measures, which allowed 400 Victorian-based AFL contingents to quarantine in a luxury resort ahead of the October 24 grand final at the Gabba.