Channel 7 has nabbed popular reality show The Voice right under rival network Nine’s nose, as the major broadcaster failed to renew the hit show for another season.
Seven secured the ratings buster on Friday after Nine failed to exercise its option to pick up the show within the required time frame.
According to The Sunday Telegraph, Nine was intending to acquire the rights of the show from ITV studios for another season.
The Seven network has confirmed Sonia Kruger, who abandoned Nine earlier this year will return to host the show.
However, the return of the same judges is still under question.
Seven boss James Warburton told the Sunday Telegraph acquiring the voice is a “coup” for the major network.
“Adding The Voice to our 2021 program slate is another brick in the wall of our content-led growth strategy of using proven, power formats,” he said.
“The Voice is a television megabrand that will deliver on our promise of more tent poles, audience growth and consistency across the year.”
Seven West Media last Tuesday flagged its earnings for the 2020 financial year had been slashed in half, as the onset of the coronavirus pandemic had dented revenue from advertising.
The Sunday Telegraph had revealed Seven’s deal with production company ITV was developed in less than 24 hours, after Nine had failed to provide ITV with an answer.
Mr Warburton said carefully considered changed will freshen up the shows format.
“It is all up for grabs,” he said.
“It has been left for the past few years so there hasn’t really been any renewal of the format, look, dynamic and it is the same with the judges. It has just been the same old, same old.”
Seven has also flagged the show’s time frame will be reduced, with blind auditions tipped to be the primary focus of the show.