News Travel

SA cancels border opening as virus spikes

SA cancels border opening as virus spikes thumbnail

As Victoria records daily spikes in COVID-19 cases, South Australia has pulled the pin on reopening its state borders on July 20.Earlier this month, Premier Steven Marshall announced that state borders would be open to all Australians from July 20, but following an increase in cases in Victoria that date has now been dumped.“We know…

As Victoria records daily spikes in COVID-19 cases, South Australia has pulled the pin on reopening its state borders on July 20.

Earlier this month, Premier Steven Marshall announced that state borders would be open to all Australians from July 20, but following an increase in cases in Victoria that date has now been dumped.

“We know that this is going to be very difficult for some people who were planning around the 20th,” Mr Marshall said to media on Tuesday.

“Our number one priority is the health, safety and welfare of all South Australians. I know that this is tough. I know that there are many families who are dislocated because of the border arrangements.

“But we have worked so hard to get ourselves into a very enviable position and we are not prepared to go backwards.”

South Australia is currently open to travellers from Western Australia, Tasmania, Northern Territory and Queensland, however the latest decision means that travellers from Victoria, NSW and the ACT will now need to sit tight for a new border reopening date.

“We just don’t have confidence that we can say now that the border removal with Victoria will be safe on 20 July,” he said of the decision.

“We will provide a firmer update with regards to New South Wales and the ACT later this week.”

On Monday, South Australia police announced there would be a new measure to streamline the arrival process into the state, and provide more certainty for cross border travellers before they reach the border.

According to a post on the South Australia Police Facebook page, the online application form can be accessed through the state government website and is anticipated that applicants will receive a response to their application within 72 hours.

“Any individual who intends to visit or return to the state should complete the online form prior to arriving in South Australia, regardless of the location they are travelling from,” a post on the South Australia Police Facebook page read.

“The pre-approval process will identify whether the person is an essential traveller, needs to self-quarantine or is able to travel without restrictions.

“Those who have completed the form and have been granted pre-approval will receive a return email with the results and a unique reference number which will need to be presented to the border patrol on arrival.”

Leave a Comment