News Travel

State announces new border change

State announces new border change thumbnail

As some states around the country begin to ease restrictions, travelling to South Australia will be a little easier for Australians by Wednesday.From July 1, people wishing to enter South Australia will soon be able to apply for pre-approval prior to reaching the state borders.The new measure hopes to streamline the arrival process into the…

As some states around the country begin to ease restrictions, travelling to South Australia will be a little easier for Australians by Wednesday.

From July 1, people wishing to enter South Australia will soon be able to apply for pre-approval prior to reaching the state borders.

The new measure hopes to streamline the arrival process into the state, and provide more certainty for cross border travellers before they reach the border.

According to a post on the South Australia Police Facebook page, the online application form can be accessed through the state government website and is anticipated that applicants will receive a response to their application within 72 hours.

“Any individual who intends to visit or return to the state should complete the online form prior to arriving in South Australia, regardless of the location they are travelling from,” a post on the South Australia Police Facebook page read.

“The pre-approval process will identify whether the person is an essential traveller, needs to self-quarantine or is able to travel without restrictions.

“Those who have completed the form and have been granted pre-approval will receive a return email with the results and a unique reference number which will need to be presented to the border patrol on arrival.”

The new measure follows the announcement earlier this month from the state’s Premier Steven Marshall that anyone arriving from Queensland, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory will not be required to quarantine. But the 14 days of isolation will still apply for anyone travelling from NSW, Victoria and the ACT.

It is understood that the quarantine measures will be lifted on July 20 for travellers entering from NSW, Victoria and the ACT, however given the recent spike in Victoria’s COVID-19 cases, that timeline may be altered.

“We’ll take advice from the experts in SA Health in relation to the efforts in Victoria to contain the virus and to properly establish the extent of the spread into the Victorian community,” State Coordinator, Commissioner Grant Stevens said.

“The reality is, the numbers we’re seeing today relate to activities that occurred over the last two weeks, so we may see a much better performance from Victoria over the next few days.

“It’s important to everybody that Victoria gets this under control.”

Mr Stevens said the pre-approval process will increase efficiencies and streamline processes for those wishing to enter South Australia.

“The aim of the new online process is to significantly reduce waiting times and ensure consistency for people at our borders,” he said.

The new measures come as the state reported no new coronavirus cases on Sunday, meaning the state has not recorded a new infection for more than a month.

Leave a Comment