Nigel Pearson says Watford’s protect at Bournemouth is “no longer a season-changing result” despite climbing out of the underside three for the first time this season.
Targets from Abdoulaye Doucoure, Troy Deeney and exchange Roberto Pereyra secured a glad victory for Watford on the Vitality Stadium to have confidence them above their opponents into 17th area.
The protect furthermore blueprint the Hornets derive smooth 13 aspects from six Premier League suits since Pearson’s appointment final month to raise hopes of heading off relegation, though the feeble Leicester boss is no longer getting carried away.
“There are so powerful of video games left, it might well presumably be foolish to have confidence because we derive obtained out of the underside three that the job’s completed,” he stated. “Or no longer it is a ways no longer a season-changing result nonetheless it completely was once a necessary one.
“We talked very early on about how we would derive to derive a monumental bustle sooner or later. We’re on a accurate bustle, nonetheless we presumably must protect one other six video games, presumably extra.
“We derive attach ourselves in a better area than we had been in a pair of weeks ago and that’s the reason all I am arresting to yelp on the moment.”
Pearson’s winning bustle continues
Most effective Liverpool and Manchester Metropolis derive smooth extra aspects than Watford since Pearson’s appointment, a bustle of like that has viewed the club skedaddle from six aspects adrift on the underside of the desk to out of the fall zone in the gap of six suits.
Also in the spectacular bustle:
- Watford (P5 W4 D1 L0) derive now picked up 13 aspects from the final 15 accessible in the Premier League, as many as they won across their previous 22 suits in the competition (13 out of a imaginable 66).
- Watford derive scored the opening aim in their final five Premier League video games, having completed so in pleasing four of their previous 17 suits in the competition this season – indeed, completely Liverpool (final 10) are on a longer most modern such bustle than the Hornets.
- Pearson (P15 W11 D2 L2) is the first English supervisor to protect at least 11 Premier League suits across a 15-sport spell in the competition since Harry Redknapp in January 2012 (furthermore 11).
|Watford’s Premier League legend beneath Nigel Pearson|
|Liverpool (A)||Misplaced 2-0|
|Man Utd (H)||Received 2-0|
|Sheffield Utd (A)||Drew 1-1|
|Aston Villa (H)||Received 3-0|
|Wolves (H)||Received 2-1|
|Bournemouth (A)||Received 3-0|
Watford raise hopes of monumental derive away
Pearson’s facet pressed high up the pitch early on as Bournemouth tried to play out from the abet, forcing errors that created two early opportunities for Ismaila Sarr and Gerard Deulofeu that had been successfully saved by Cherries goalkeeper Trace Travers.
Travers was once making his first Premier League originate up of the season in the absence of the injured Aaron Ramsdale and it was once his error quickly forward of the damage that resulted in the opener.
The 20-300 and sixty five days-oldschool, beneath force from Deulofeu, gave the ball straight to Sarr making ready to the gap. The Senegal winger then crossed into the six-yard field for Doucoure, who took a bound forward of blasting the ball into the roof of the score for his 2d aim in as many suits.
As Bournemouth committed extra men forward in the 2d half of Watford regarded to hit on the counter, with Sarr and Doucoure combining for Deulofeu to slit large quickly after the restart.
They deservedly grabbed their 2d on 65 minutes when Sarr’s unsuitable was once deflected into the path of Deeney, who drove powerfully into the nook past an unmoved Travers.
Deeney and Deulofeu both went shut as Bournemouth modified into increasingly extra mature, with Pereyra wrapping up a glossy protect with with regards to the final kick of the game after Andre Grey’s shot had been cleared off the twin carriageway by Ryan Fraser.
Bournemouth’s spin continues
Bournemouth started a sport in relegation zone for the first time in additional than two years after being as high as seventh when they beat Manchester United before the full lot up of November.
Since then the south-hover club derive taken pleasing four aspects from their final 11 suits, shedding nine, to transfer away supervisor Eddie Howe beneath increasing force.
Howe stated in his programme notes that this sport marked a “season-defining interval” for the Cherries, with their subsequent three league video games after on the unique time towards sides currently in the underside seven.
However any hopes of a intellectual originate up to resolve early nerves proved false, with the house facet sloppy in possession as they struggled to interrupt free of Watford’s high press.
Their easiest likelihood of the first half of came from a job-piece, with Harry Wilson’s curling free-kick successfully pushed away by Ben Foster.
They failed to muster a single shot now heading in the right direction in the 2d interval, with the game with regards to over as a contest once Watford had scored their 2d aim.
Hundreds of Bournemouth followers had already left by the closing whistle, with a range of those final booing a third successive Premier League defeat without scoring a aim.
Man of the match – Troy Deeney (Watford)
‘We are in a cosmopolitan moment’ – what they stated
Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe chatting with Match of the Day: “No longer easy sport, we battled and caught to the game in the first half of. It wasn’t a monumental performance from either group forward of half of-time nonetheless the aim sucked the existence out of us and gave them a have confidence.
“We wished to create better. We weren’t artistic enough, similar to recent weeks, and the first aim is a hammer blow for us. It is a ways a gaggle thing and we didn’t create what we wished, attach ourselves beneath force and conceded a miserable aim.
“All of us be taught from those moments and the group has to have confidence responsibility. It was once subtle for us on the unique time, we had a sturdy group, accurate steadiness, so it is disappointing. We are always eager when we do now not protect. We had been decided to create successfully. The first aim damaged us mentally and we didn’t derive successfully. We are in a cosmopolitan moment and must have confidence ourselves.”
Watford supervisor Nigel Pearson, furthermore to Match of the Day: “It is a ways a really beefy result, a monumental protect and one the avid gamers worked very laborious to accurate. It is a ways a really sure step in the finest form direction for us.
“We had to work exceptionally laborious for it because there had been instances we didn’t play as successfully with the ball as we would derive most widespread. We now derive bustle away glad winners in the cease, nonetheless it completely was once a sport we had to battle and supply protection to our aim with loads of resilience.
“We obtained the steadiness correct form on the unique time in doing what the game wished. It was once a more difficult sport than the scoreline suggests nonetheless we thoroughly deserved the protect.
“There might be no such thing as a magic formula, the avid gamers will drive it. We create the framework for the avid gamers to transfer and play – it is a ways fantastic about trying to maximise what we derive obtained. I are trying to derive pleasure from myself, despite the indisputable truth that there are instances you practically completely have confidence I don’t, I are trying to derive pleasure from the subject and it is restful going to be a cosmopolitan name. There might be an unpleasant long arrangement to transfer.”
Extra trouble for Bournemouth – the stats
- Bournemouth derive now lost 81 Premier League video games since their first campaign in the competition in 2015-16 – completely on the unique time’s victors Watford (82) derive suffered extra in this time. The Cherries derive furthermore conceded basically the most targets in the competition since their first sport abet in August 2015 (300).
- Bournemouth had their first and completely shot now heading in the right direction towards Watford in the ninth minute; indeed, it is a ways the third time in their final seven Premier League video games the Cherries haven’t managed extra than one shot now heading in the right direction in a match (0 v Liverpool and Burnley in December).
- Watford’s Troy Deeney has scored eight league targets towards Bournemouth in 14 appearances – extra targets than he has versus any varied opponent for the length of his English league occupation.
- Abdoulaye Doucoure has scored in abet-to-abet Premier League video games for the first time since April 2019; the Frenchman has now scored 16 targets in the competition for Watford – completely Deeney (41) has extra for the Hornets.
- Ismaila Sarr has had a correct away hand in four targets in six Premier League video games for Watford beneath Nigel Pearson (2 targets, 2 aid) – the Senegal international had previously completely scored once and delivered no assists in nine suits beneath previous bosses Quique Sanchez Flores, Hayden Mullins and Javi Gracia.
Watford gallop to League One Tranmere for their FA Cup third-round replay on Tuesday (19: 45 GMT) forward of hosting Tottenham in the Premier League on Saturday (12: 30). Bournemouth are furthermore in Premier League action later on Saturday, away at Norwich (15: 00).