Nirbhaya case chronology: Timeline of events in 2012 Delhi gangrape, murder case

Written by PaperDabba
Image Source : PTI

Nirbhaya case: Timeline of events 

The Supreme Court on Monday rejected the review pleas of three out of the four convicts sent to the death row in the 2012 ‘Nirbhaya’ gang rape and murder case.

The SC bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justices R Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan pronounced its judgment on the death penalty pleas of convicts Mukesh (29), Pawan Gupta (22) and Vinay Sharma (23) on Monday.

The fourth death row convict, Akshay Kumar Singh (31), has not filed a review petition against the apex court’s May 5, 2017 judgement.

Also Read | December 16 gangrape, murder verdict LIVE: SC upholds death penalty; victim’s mother says ‘justice will be served when all four convicts are hanged’

The 23-year-old paramedic was gangraped and murdered by six persons, including a minor, in a moving bus in South Delhi and was later thrown out with her male friend on the streets.

13 days later, on December 29, she died in a Singapore hospital. In 2013, a trial court had ruled and the High Court had confirmed that the four accused – Akshay Thakur, Pawan Gupta, Mukesh and Vinay Sharma – should be hanged. But the four challenged the verdict in the Supreme Court.

Also Read | Five years after Nirbhaya gang-rape, is Delhi any safer for women?

Here is the complete timeline of the Nirbhaya gangrape case: 

Dec 16, 2012: Six men, including a juvenile, gang-raped the medical student in the moving bus when she was returning home after watching a movie. The accused beat up her friend and later threw out both of them from a moving bus.

Dec 17, 2012: Police identified four accused — the bus driver Ram Singh, his brother Mukesh, Vinay Sharma and Pawan Gupta.

Dec 18, 2012: Ram Singh and three others were arrested.

Dec 21, 2012: Delinquent juvenile nabbed from Anand Vihar bus terminal in Delhi. Victim’s friend identifies Mukesh as one of the culprits. Police conducts raids in Haryana and Bihar to nab the sixth accused, Akshay Thakur.

Dec 22, 2012: Thakur arrested in Aurangabad district of Bihar. Victim records statement before the SDM in hospital.

Dec 23, 2012: Protesters defy prohibitory orders, took to streets against the incident. Constable Subhash Tomar rushed to hospital with fatal injuries.

Dec 25, 2012: Doctors term victim’s condition critical. In the meantime, constable Tomar succumbs to injuries.

Dec 26, 2012: Government decides to take victim to Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Hospital following a cardiac arrest.

Dec 29, 2012: Victim succumbs to injuries and other medical conditions at 2:15 am. Police adds murder charge in the FIR.

Jan 2, 2013: CJI Altamas Kabir inaugurates fast track court (FTC) for speedy trial in the case.

Jan 3, 2013: Police files charge sheet against five adult accused for offences including murder, gangrape, attempt to murder, kidnapping, unnatural offences and dacoity etc.

Jan 17, 2013: FTC starts proceedings against five adult accused.

Mar 11, 2013: Ram Singh commits suicide in Tihar jail.

Mar 22, 2013: Delhi HC allows national media to report FTC proceedings.

Aug 31, 2013: JJB convicts the minor for gangrape and murder and awards three years term at a probation home.

January 29, 2013: The Supreme Court dismisses transfer petition.

September 13, 2013: Four remaining accused sentenced to death by Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna.

March 13, 2014: Delhi High Court Bench of Justices Reva Khetrapal and Pratibha Rani upholds the trial Court verdict.

March 15, 2014: The Supreme Court stays execution of the accused after allegations of a denial of fair trial.

December 18, 2015: Delhi High Court refuses to stay release of the minor-accused, who walks free after three years in a juvenile home.

April 3, 2016: Hearings begin in the Supreme Court, after 19 months of being in cold storage. Justices Dipak Misra, V. Gopala Gowda and Kurian Joseph to hear the case.

April 8, 2016: Senior Advocates Raju Ramachandran and Sanjay Hegde appointed Amicus Curiae.

August 29, 2016: High drama in the courtroom as allegation of the police tampering with evidence is made.

September 2, 2016: Advocate M. L. Sharma concludes his submissions.

September 16, 2016: Former Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) (Delhi) Chaya Sharma, who was transferred to Mizoram post the Delhi gang rape case, attends the hearing.

November 7, 2016: Senior Advocate and Amicus Curiae Raju Ramachandran makes his submissions, argues for the sentencing order to be set aside.

November 28, 2016: Senior Advocate and Amicus Curiae Sanjay Hegde argues against reliability of evidence in the case.

January 6, 2017: The Supreme Court seeks mitigating circumstances from the accused.

February 3, 3017: The Supreme Court decides to re-hear the case on the sentencing aspect, after the petitioners contend that there have been violations in procedure.

March 6, 2017: All the accused submit additional affidavits in the Court.

March 27, 2017: The Supreme Court reserves verdict after nearly a year of hearing the case.

May 5, 2017: The Supreme Court upholds Delhi HC’s verdict death sentence of the four convicts in the infamous 2012 Delhi gang rape case.

July 9, 2018: The Supreme Court rejects review pleas of three out of four convicts awarded death penalty


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.